DS : New generation of nylon
New generation of nylon powder for Selective Laser Sintering: case study of an air distributor prototype
Markets: Selective Laser Sintering Prototyping (Automotive)
Polymers: PA 12, PA 6
Prototype close to injected part
The ability of a selective laser sintering (SLS) prototype part to behave like the injected part is directly influenced by the nylon powder quality.
The latest generation of nylon powder Innov´PA allows prototypes to be as close as possible to the injected parts, whatever the laser sintering machine is.
How Innov´Pa reaches plastic-like performances of an air distributor, usually made of Glass-spheres reinforced PA 6?
- By achieving a higher surface resolution (with both reinforced or unfilled grades)
- By showing a plastic-like behaviour
- By having the support of an experienced technical expert
Achieving a higher surface resolution (with both reinforced or unfilled grades)
Innov´PA powder has been specifically formulated to provide a higher «aesthetics resolution » in terms of:
- Smooth surface aspect allowing an excellent airflow test accuracy
- Look and feel much closer to a wide range of serial production parts. The smoothest surface is observed whatever the type of machines used: EOS and 3D System.
Figure 1 illustrates this by a comparison of the rugosity of different prototypes made of competitive nylon powders with theses 2 types of machines.
Figure 1: Comparison of rugosity of 3 SLS prototypes made of Innov´PA and two competitors nylon powders. (Rugosity measured by optic stratography.)
Showing a plastic-like behaviour
Innov´PA brings the right mechanical and physical properties to the air distributor prototype, outperforming by far what the previously used nylon powder achieved. The most critical ones are:
- Vibrations and acoustic behaviour closer to the PA 6 injected part (reinforced by Glass Spheres) for leakage testing on air-ducting
- Heating and defrosting performances to run cycled tests over a wide range of temperatures (cooling rate measurements, windscreen/window demisting and de-icing…)
Take benefit from the high level of technical support provided with Innov´PA and improve your prototype part performances.
Benefiting from constant technical support
The wide range of Innov´PA grades is provided with a constant support on both types of laser sintering systems provided by the 2 worldwide leaders of the LS market.
This support allows to accelerate:
- Your time of part development (part design support)
- Your time before production launch (machine settings support)